Meet Napkin, my new super light FPV quad. Making it was a test of patience and my soldering skills.
A week or so ago, I was flying Ripley with all of it’s brand new FPV gear strapped on. First of all, that was super duper fun. I then decided to shoot a gap may just a bit too small as fast as I could make the thing go. Whoops.
No big deal, though. Fixing it was just a matter of ordering a new part plus a bit of soldering, but hey, since this thing was so much fun, why not order a few extra parts and make a second one?
So that’s what I did. I ordered the lightest chassis (that wasn’t plastic) that I could find and another Pico kit for FPV and waited. This time, though, I wanted to try things out that I wasn’t willing to on Ripley. I wanted to remove the need for the second battery and I wanted the wires to be much much shorter.
In order to avoid a second battery, I needed (I think) to get a 5v step up that just converts the power fro 3 to 5v. The thing is 30% connector so I removed the connector. This means I had some seriously tiny (and somewhat frustrating) soldering to do.
Not only was the soldering there a bit maddening, but shortening other wires and connectors for the transmitter and camera ended up being a little tricky. If it’s still rocking after a few days of testing, I’ll probably make similar changes to Ripley.
I think it came out pretty nicely. It’s incredibly light. From the short tests I’ve done on it so far, it flies really nicely. Will definitely be flying as fast as possible with it this weekend.
It took about a month of dozens of pretty hard crashes to do it. there was a slow increase in the amount of cracks around the arms. The biggest cracks were on the front right arm. I noticed how bad it was a few days ago and figured it was only a matter of time until it fully broke. I had a spare chassis, so I wasn’t too worried.
This is Ripley.
Named after the protagonist in Aliens. This little thing is tough and super duper incredibly insanely fast. It’s got some X4 guts and some dark edition motors. Oh, and a super freakin light 110mm 7 gram carbon fiber body. The thing defies gravity.
I got these ladybird props and the clear props after some killer recommendations from the Hubsan X4 FB group.
I also got some anti vibration gel to hopefully improve my video from the 808.
Tomorrow, I have some more fun things arriving (I hope) and I’ll definitely post the results.
This is the video that enticed my brother to buy a Hubsan X4.
I’m thinking the Hubsan X4 is a gateway device into electronics. People who’ve never soldered before are suddenly finding themselves with a smokin’ hot soldering iron in hand, balancing coiled solder and tugging on black and red wires on the circuit board in an attempt to change out motors – all to get it flying again.
After doing a little research, it seemed like the simplest way to add a camera to an X4 is by strapping this wonky little 808 car keychain spy cam to the bottom. So I tried it. What could possibly go wrong?
I crash these things a ton in a pretty spectacular fashion. It’s about time I start documenting these wrecks a bit better. It took me a few minutes to find the missing prop after this crash.
Yep. I’m already soldering on Crash again. I fixed it up this morning and everything went pretty smoothly, but it’s a little tricky to get into the top side of the board because of the LED wires. No issues at all and seems ready to go. I’m going to take it out this weekend somewhere nice to celebrate.
We were flying around in the park and my original X4, Crash, crashed pretty hard and a motor became unresponsive. No big deal. I spent about 5 minutes fixing it up this morning and thought I’d share a little. There’s not much to it.
My new X4 props finally arrived! Heck yeah!